List:       koffice
Subject:    Does KDE/Gnome support printers as...
From:       delphidb () rsvlonline ! net (Derk Benner)
Date:       1999-06-22 3:40:09

When a KOffice application runs and outputs it's document to the =
printer, does it use the page-as-a-bitmapped-image-output-display as =
does Windows and MacOS?  In other words, if I'm running KWord and I =
print my document, is it directly translating my WYSIWYG document into =
the equivalent bitmap for the printer I have selected.  (My monitor is =
17" and runs in 1024 x768 mode so I think that's about 90 dpi while my =
Epson Stylus Photo printer can print the same page at 180 x 180 to 1440 =
x 720 dpi resolution.  But under Windows, it does all output to the =
printer as a raster graphics page printer device.)  Is this true for =
most variable font/size applications designed to run under X-Windows and =
either FVWM, Gnome, or KDE?

The reason I'm asking is because Epson swears that all Linux printer =
output, even under X-Windows is character mode (DOS) and therefore will =
directly harm the printer.  I don't believe it, but I don't know enought =
to counteract their arguments.  This argument is being used to withhold =
the ESC/P Raster command set for Stylus Photo printers, even thought =
they DO support the older Stylus Color printers and freely distribute =
the ESC/P 2 command set.

Obviously, I'm asking because *WITH* the ESC/P Raster command set, I =
*THINK* I can develop a Linux driver for my Stylus Photo printer (It =
supports 6 colors at 1440 x 720 dpi!!!!) or at least create a uniprint =
driver for Ghostscript.

Derek A Benner
"I am a Linux Newbie...  That's equal to a WinNT Master and an =
iMacGURU!"