List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Koffice - compilation problems - general issues
From:       <lists () eness ! vancouverrentals ! com>
Date:       1999-06-04 5:12:47

----[ for someone who has got koffice compiled ]----

I do not want detailed instructions on compilation. I've waded through
most of the problems, changed a few (de)referencers that were interfering
with qt function calls and function members, touched up a few problems I
saw, etc..

However I wouldn't mind a one- or two-liner clue in the following form:
(i'll make it really easy-- cut & paste!)

i) just get the latest sources, keep doing what you're doing, it'll work

ii) stop doing what you're doing, koffice cvsup isn't compilable, we're
working on new features right now, bugger off.
------[end of section]----

---[ rambling for other users]---
I too have been having amazing difficulties trying to compile the koffice
suite of programs on my machine..  however I *have* been able to compile
and install the QT2.0 from troll.no's CVS repository, and I *have* gotten
as far as linking for most of the koffice programs I'm interested
in--kspread, kword, etc. However at the linking phase I get nailed with
strange little incompatibilities that I think are caused by the constantly
changing QT2.0 library.

Most of the probems I was encountering had to do with dependency problems,
missing -l flags, and so forth..  things like adding a kdelibs library to
a dependency list, and adding the -l flags to certain makefiles (-lICE
-lSM, -lstdc++, and so forth were the most common but I think might have
been my fault to begin with,) fixed everything nicely.

Except, with a qt2.0 update from a couple of days ago (obtained at the
same time as the koffice, kdelibs sources) I ended up with the following
problems:

undefined reference to QBitmap::QBitmap(blah, blah)
undefined reference to QPixmap::QPixmap(blah, blah)

which appear to me to be incompatible function definitions with the
QPixmap, QBitmap routines within the QT libraries--in QT, there are four
or more arguments in QBitmap/QPixmap and the library (libkdeui i believe)
uses only two arguments  in its calls.

sadly I'm not a C++ programmer (only C so far) and can therefore not
verify the validity of the syntax, but it was causing a problem..

i'm updating to the most current version of qt2.0, koffice, and kdelibs so
I'll see if things have been fixed..

thanks!

sincerely,

marc tooley