List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: koffice applnk
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-05-31 17:54:02

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Michael Koch wrote:

> >But before I commit the stuff I'd like to ask:
> >
> >Is it ok to install all the .desktop files of the apps (not the
> >filters/plugins/tools, I will finish this later) into applnk/KOffice/* ?
> >
> >If you don't like this, then we have two other possibilities:
> >
> >2) install all of them into the service directory (ugly IMO)
> >
> >3) continue installing them in apps/koffice/partlnk and hack kded to scan
> >   this directory, too (even more ugly IMO)
> >
> >Opinions?
>
> I think that your first solution is rigth.
>
> Where will the filters/plugins/tools installed ?

We have to distinguish now:

Filters: Here we could go the clean way IMHO :)
        Clean way means: create a special kde-wide directory for
        servicetypes (we'll need it anyway I think)
        Then we put a filter servicetype description into that directory,
        so that KRegistry (in kded) can find it.
        Filter .desktop files then go into the services directory.
        When we query for filters the trader returns us the wanted filter
        service and we can access the special filter properties (which are
        read from the .desktop file because they're defined in the
        corresponding servicetype description .desktop file) , just like
        "ExportDescription" for example.

        The other way is described below, together with the plugins

Tools (DataTools) : Here we could go a similar way, also by using a
                    special koffice datatool servicetype .desktop file. in
                    order to be able to access the special properties.

Plugins : These are "more dynamic" ;) .desktop files, which means we can't
          describe them in a servicetype .desktop file, because essential
          information is kept in extra groups. And unfortunately we can't
          declare groups in properties.
          Example:
          MenuEntries=Start,Stop,Play
          [Start]
          Icon=
          Slot=
          Name=
          [Stop]

          We need to be able to access all these fields through
          properties, but this is impossible.

          Three solutions come to my mind:
          1) extend the properties stuff, but I guess this becomes a
             pretty difficult thing (and did you know that I'm lazy? ;)
             But perhaps someone else has an idea how to do this and wants
             to implement it? Perhaps the creator itself (Torben) ? :-)
          2) continue installing them in the servicesdir and try to find
             the corresponding .desktop file from the KService data the
             trader returns us, so we can "read" the rest. But I don't
             like this way, because I believe it's a bad hack.
          3) The solution I currently prefer
             We continue installing the stuff in the koffice directory and
             keep the koScanPlugins code mostly as is.
             When registering the servers at the IMR we have to be careful
             not to forget to remove the entries when exiting, because
             we're actually using the global IMR from kded, and we should
             clean up our mess when quitting, IMO ;-)
             I think the best place for such a cleanup might be the shell,
             since it's session global (session=one app plus embedded
             documents).
             But I think we have to be careful with this, because it might
             happen that at the same time another koffice app starts and
             this might arise problems when the other app now tries to
             clean up these IMR entries.
             Or perhaps we shouldn't cleanup, to avoid such problems?

Ideas/Suggestions/Opinions?
Did I forget something?
Torben?

Ciao,