Hi, Sounds very interesting! I am looking forward to it. Bye Torben On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Jim McCusker wrote: > Do you think that Koffice development isn't spread thin enough? Do you > want to work on the next best thing since timesliced bread? Ever wanted to > try your hand at a 500 piece CORBA/KOM puzzle? > > If so, then Kbase is for you! Come help myself, Michael Koch, and Peenak > Inamdar futilely hack at a project so froody that you won't know where > your towel went. :-) > > What is Kbase? Breifly, it's a desktop database application not unlike > Paradox and Access. But it's so much more! > > Here's my idea for Kbase: > > The main body of Kbase is that of a plugin framework. Each part of the > database is a KOM application that plugs into a base manager. > We will have (to start): > > o Kdataparse: > > This is, in itself, a place to plug in a means to access various data > formats. There'll be one for the std database, and one for each supported > data type, including the interfaces for connecting to SQL servers. > > Kdataparse will show the same interface to the programmer no matter what > the database type is. This makes it easy to move back-end implementations > with minimal pain and suffering should a database need to be upsized. > > What you would give Kdataparse would be an SQL statement that describes > the data requested, no matter what format it's in. (As long as it's > accessable from the open database) This will include both tables and > queries, as well as the ability to ask for a live dataset, a snapshot > dataset(read only), or a live dataset (read only). What it returns is a > data structure (or whatever CORBA gives back) that is the interface to > that particular table/query. > > Also, Kdataparse the views necessary to work directly with tables and > queries (editing the structure, editing the data, etc.). Kdataparse will > also hold the code for relationships, referential integrity, etc. > > At some point, I'd like to make an XML-based database format, and have > that be the default format (pipedream) > > o Kforms: > > This will be something that generates and displays forms. We can hack > something from the xml-based form-maker for QT or KDE (is that still > around?). It is important that we don't have a one-to-one relationship > between forms and tables/queries. That is, forms don't have to be linked > to any forms/queries, and you can have more than one form per table/query. > Kforms can also hold a sql statement as a control source, rather than just > a saved query or table. > > o Kreports: > > This will use an XML/XSL format for making reports. The XML will be the > resulting data that is spit into an XSL template, which is the actual > report that will be output. We can use konquerer (maybe put in XML/XSL > support?) for the print/display engine. > > o Kscript: > > This should be done through the python interface and all. We can extend it > (and probably use it throughout Koffice) so that it includes an editing > environment that is friendly, like syntax highlighting, object/function > browsers, etc. > > The overall structure would look like this: > > Kbase > |-> Kdataparse > ||-> Ktable FE > ||-> Kquery FE (based on Ktable) > |\-> actual interfaces to database types > |-> Kforms > |-> Kreports > |-> Kscript > \-> whatever else we think of. > > I'm figuring that, in the future, more people, not just koffice > developers, will contribute different plugins to this architecture. Future > work would include data mining, connecting reporting up to a future > mod_koffice (for apache publishing and the DOM stuff), creating a sql > server out of the Kdataparse plugin (this should be easy, since it already > will use corba), adding more languages that are usable, whatever is > thought of. And they would be installable at runtime, possibly as needed. > Of course, any of these pieces can be plugged into any of the other > Koffice apps. I know that Kspread would kick some real arse with actual > database embedding (Excel just has a slow MS-Query interface or even > crappier native database functions). > > If you want to help out, or have any more ideas for the project, you can > post here, or mail us: > > Peenak will be in charge of the database > engine work. He's currently studying hard on some database theory stuff. > Contact him if you're interested in working on engine stuff. > > Michael will be working on the front-end GUI stuff. > Contact him if you are a graphics-type or a UI/ human-factors type, or if > you are a QT whiz. > > Jim (me) will be working on, for now, just about > everything else. I've got some studying to do on CORBA/KOM/OpenParts. I'll > also probably be working on the logic for the rest of the system, > basically batting cleanup. If you're interesting in the rest of the > system, come talk to me. > > Thank you for your time, > Jim > === > Jim McCusker | mccusker@iname.com > http://cif.rochester.edu/~fprefect > Wax I in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster, > and your odors of father of elderberries! Go now far, or I > taunt you second once, you them English pig-dogs! > --Monty Python through babelfish.altavista.com > > _________________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > >