Michael Hanke wrote: > > Hi, > > I had a look at all available informations regarding compilation > problems. None gave an answer to my question. > > I tried to build KOffice on a Sun Solaris 2.5.1 machine. I am an > ordinary user with no special rights (and limited disk space). I have > the following possibilities for choosing the gcc compiler: > - 2.7.2.3 (my standard compiler because the most reliable one) > - 2.8.1 > - egcs 1.1.1 > According to the KOffice FAQ, the first variant cannot be used. The > second version (2.8.1) cannot be used for compiling Qt (according to > their FAQ: I got a compiler error). According to Qt's homepage, gcc > 2.7.2 is recommended. mico recommends 2.7.2 again. So I am left with > egcs 1.1.1. The latter crashes in the assembly stage (probably due to > large symbols). The workaround from the mico FAQ makes the assembler > crashing again (now because of an exessively huge .s file). So there > is *no* possibility to compile the whole system. > So here are my questions: > - What can an ordinary user do? > - Which precompiled binaries are available? Note that I am not > allowed to install them in other places than my home directory. > > Do you have any suggestions? > Yep - try egcs 1.1.1 using GNU binutils. It's the only solution for Solaris. Greetings, Stephan -- As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics, Microsoft have nothing to worry about. By Michael Surkan, PC Week Online