List:       koffice
Subject:    Compilers
From:       Michael Hanke <hanke () nada ! kth ! se>
Date:       1999-04-15 6:14:34

Hi,

I had a look at all available informations regarding compilation
problems. None gave an answer to my question.

I tried to build KOffice on a Sun Solaris 2.5.1 machine. I am an
ordinary user with no special rights (and limited disk space). I have
the following possibilities for choosing the gcc compiler:
- 2.7.2.3 (my standard compiler because the most reliable one)
- 2.8.1
- egcs 1.1.1
According to the KOffice FAQ, the first variant cannot be used. The
second version (2.8.1) cannot be used for compiling Qt (according to
their FAQ: I got a compiler error). According to Qt's homepage, gcc
2.7.2 is recommended. mico recommends 2.7.2 again. So I am left with
egcs 1.1.1. The latter crashes in the assembly stage (probably due to
large symbols). The workaround from the mico FAQ makes the assembler
crashing again (now because of an exessively huge .s file). So there
is *no* possibility to compile the whole system.
So here are my questions:
- What can an ordinary user do?
- Which precompiled binaries are available? Note that I am not
allowed to install them in other places than my home directory.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Michael

|  Michael Hanke                Royal Institute of Technology   |
|                               NADA                            |
|                               S-10044 Stockholm               |
|                               Sweden                          |
|  Visiting address:            Lindstedtsvaegen 3              |
|  Phone:                       + (46) (8) 790 6278             |
|  Fax:                         + (46) (8) 790 0930             |
|  Email:                       hanke@nada.kth.se               |
|                               na.mhanke@na-net.ornl.gov       |