List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Right to Left Issues
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-03-30 23:13:30

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Jost Schenck wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Omer Kotlicki wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I would like to know whether you are taking into account the middle-eastern
> > population when writing this magnificent project?
> >It would be great if your product would support Right to Left writing so that
> >it
> > would allow to spread this product to a population of over a billion people
> > that up till now had to use microsoft because they were the only serious
> > candidate to offer this relatively not sophisticated feature.
> >

> Unfortunately this is not supported up to now :( The right place to implement
> this first would be in Qt. There are plans by some programmers (not by
> TrollTech) to work on this, but I don't know how advanced these plans are.
> The KOffice team has very much to do right now, so unless someone volunteers,
> chances are small.
> Sorry.
>
> BTW, Reggie: On a second thought I remember you saying this might be
> implemented in KWord independently of Qt, and Stephan answering that it
> wouldn't make sense without Qt offering it, too.
> I don't think that's right: many people writing right-to-left probably
> wouldn't
> mind to use KDE with e.g. english menu entries etc (and therefore
> left-to-right writing) but have to write Text in their language - so an
> english
> KWord that offers right-to-left writing *would* make sense.
> I agree, you've got definitely enough to do :) Anyway, this might be some
> volunteer's job.

The problem is that for implementing this you need a quite good knowledge of the
KWord kernel (formatting stuff), and that's really a quite complicated stuff. So
I'm not sure if there are many people who want to do that. But as I have no
plans for the next weekend, it looks like a good job for next weekend :-))

Ciao, Reggie

--
Reginald Stadlbauer

E-Mail: reggie@kde.org