List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Right to Left Issues
From:       Jost Schenck <uzsnty () uni-bonn ! de>
Date:       1999-03-29 19:17:38

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Omer Kotlicki wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I would like to know whether you are taking into account the middle-eastern
> population when writing this magnificent project?
>It would be great if your product would support Right to Left writing so that it
> would allow to spread this product to a population of over a billion people
> that up till now had to use microsoft because they were the only serious
> candidate to offer this relatively not sophisticated feature.

Unfortunately this is not supported up to now :( The right place to implement
this first would be in Qt. There are plans by some programmers (not by
TrollTech) to work on this, but I don't know how advanced these plans are.
The KOffice team has very much to do right now, so unless someone volunteers,
chances are small.
Sorry.

BTW, Reggie: On a second thought I remember you saying this might be
implemented in KWord independently of Qt, and Stephan answering that it
wouldn't make sense without Qt offering it, too.
I don't think that's right: many people writing right-to-left probably wouldn't
mind to use KDE with e.g. english menu entries etc (and therefore
left-to-right writing) but have to write Text in their language - so an english
KWord that offers right-to-left writing *would* make sense.
I agree, you've got definitely enough to do :) Anyway, this might be some
volunteer's job.
-Jost.

--
Jost Schenck