List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Microsoft's 3rd man speaks out fear of KOffice
From:       Case Roole <cjr () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       1999-01-31 0:18:08

Torben wrote:
>> this afternoon I attempted to apply IBM's java BeanMaker to
>> the kword.dtd in the hope of generating a parser for it. Unfortunately,
>> BeanMaker refused to create a parser bean for a dtd going as much as five
>> levels deep. Yesterday, I tried the easy way and attempted to create and XSL
>> file to convert a kword document to HTML. Unfortunately, this goes best with
>> recursive structures, while a kword document is to a high degree iterative.
>
>Could you please explain this a bit more precisely ?
>
>Which tools do already support XSL? I always wanted to convert
>KSpreads output to HTML using XSL ...

Take a look at: http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/

When looking at the page, it seems to me that the tool you are really
interested in is James Clark's Xt.

C++ being too deep for me, I have turned to java and I fetch my tools from
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/. The relevant items there are their xml4j package
(XML for java), LotusXSL, and BeanMaker.

- xml4j does the XML data structures (library for the other two packages)
- LotusXSL provides an XSL converter, taking as input an XML file, an XSL file
and an output file, e.g. .html
- BeanMaker produces a parser java bean for a certain DTD.

As said, BeanMaker is to produce a parser for a certain DTD (but unfortunately
it didn't for the kword.dtd as it is more than five levels deep. Perhaps I
should write IBM/AlphaWorks about this (no source available for this one). I
thought I would need this because the XML format kword uses is "iterative". I
love its readability, but for a recursive XSL formatter it is no pleasure to
have the text first and any make-up added afterwards by refering to indices.
Hence my hope for BeanMaker that would give me all of java to get at the right
positions.

I'll look into the kspread output format tomorrow - Sunday - morning.

-cjr

PS   For LIST_MAINTAINER:
I just subscribed to the list. The message I received mentioned I had to
reply to koffice-request, but hitting reply directed me to koffice.
Configuration problem? (I changed the reply address manually - AFAIK I'm not on
the list when writing this.)