List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Are interoperability issues bugs?
From:       Alexandra Leisse <leisse () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-07-14 19:18:32

Hello!

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 18:37, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

---> snip <---

> I see, it is a developers term then. What is the accepted end-user's
> term for "this is ready for production use"? I understand that you
> clarify in the release notes, but to be honest if I were to read the
> release notes of all the software that I use I would never get any
> real work done. What is the code-word / version number for "ready for
> users"? Is this a KDE-wide term (there were similar problems with KDE
> 4.0 not being ready for end users)? Note that I am not trying to start
> a flame war, even though I know the flamability of the subject, but
> rather trying to judge if I can use software that uses nonstandard
> terminology. I don't want to get myself into any problems because I
> thought that term XYZ, which is acepted to mean ABC in most software,
> actually means DEF in Koffice / KDE. That said, I am a happy KDE 4.3
> RC2 user.

Currently, all KDE is walking a tight line. It started with KDE 4.0
and has reached nearly all applications by now. The new technologies
introduced with Qt4 and consequently with the KDE4 series forced many
developers to basically rewrite their applications. After a certain
time and amount of work, it was crucial for the further success of
their projects to release them to a knowledgeable audience to gather
feedback. None of the .0 releases were ready for actual daily use. KDE
seems to finally have reached this point with the upcoming 4.3
release.

Unfortunately, this is a rather unusual concept and hard to communicate.

As Boudewijn explained before, we tried to be as clear and careful as
humanly possible with our messages around the 2.0 release. We are
trying to hold the balance between excitement because of a release the
developers have been working on for years and low profile messaging
towards users.

I hope this helps in understanding the thinking behind the whole
versioning and the importance of bug reports at this point. Don't
hesitate to ask if not. :)

Alexandra
--
Alexandra Leisse