List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Are interoperability issues bugs?
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-14 16:37:54

>> Thank you, Boudewijn. Considering your words, would it be acceptable
>> for me to open documents in the current 2.0 release and file bugs on
>> reproducible display issues, except font rendering?
>
> Yes, definitely, if you can attach the test documents.

Terrific, then I will reduce to test cases and attach. Thanks!

>> Then why is it called 2.0? I thought that x.0 means "ready for end users".
>
> Well, it also means "all source compatibility with the previous platform has
> been broken, but it's ready to develop new applications on again". For us, it
> was the clear watershed between "we can do anything to this code, we don't
> care about anyone who uses the code except for us" and "if you develop a new
> plugin, we're committed to supporting you from now on". We were pretty careful
> in making that clear in the release announcement.

I see, it is a developers term then. What is the accepted end-user's
term for "this is ready for production use"? I understand that you
clarify in the release notes, but to be honest if I were to read the
release notes of all the software that I use I would never get any
real work done. What is the code-word / version number for "ready for
users"? Is this a KDE-wide term (there were similar problems with KDE
4.0 not being ready for end users)? Note that I am not trying to start
a flame war, even though I know the flamability of the subject, but
rather trying to judge if I can use software that uses nonstandard
terminology. I don't want to get myself into any problems because I
thought that term XYZ, which is acepted to mean ABC in most software,
actually means DEF in Koffice / KDE. That said, I am a happy KDE 4.3
RC2 user.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com