List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice team is looking for webmasters
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-10-31 10:19:03

On Wednesday 29 October 2008, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 October 2008 11:30:55 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > In KOffice, for the 2.x
> > series, we are going to give the message that, while KOffice is based on
> > KDE's libraries, you can use it outside KDE, you can use it in Gnome, in
> > Xfce, in Windows and in MacOSX (of course you will get the best user
> > experience if you use everything from KDE). That's the reason why I feel
> > an independent website is a good idea. In that aspect the first page of
> > the current site isn't that bad ( To the exception of "KOffice is a free,
> > integrated office suite for KDE, the K Desktop Environment."), it still
> > show the link to KDE and yet KOffice is what is put in front.
>
> As you might have seen there is an ongoing effort of the marketing team to
> address the problem that there is the wrong perception that running KDE
> applications is only possible on a KDE desktop. This is a general problem,
> not limited to KOffice, and we will have to work on adjusting our messaging
> to get rid of this wrong perception. This is somehow orthogonal to the
> question of separate web sites.

Yes and this is an effort that we deeply encourage and are ready to help to
make that happen when we communicate around KOffice :) We are very happy to
have a link with the KDE Desktop but we clearly don't want it to be perceived
as a "dependency" (a.k.a. I can only use KOffice if I use KDE Desktop). That
said, I have first heard about this about a year or two, and it's my
perception that work to make this happen has not yet started and that "KDE"
is still equal to "KDE Desktop" and not "KDE Project" (a simple look at
kde.org tell so, for instance, it still speak of "KDE" release). So when the
KDE Marketing group has been successfull in changing the meaning of "KDE"
(which is a huge effort that can take years, changing brand meaning or
changing brand is an effort that need time), we might have to reconsider the
need for an independent website, but for the time beeing I think it's
important for us to differentiate ourself from KDE, and an independent
website is a good way for this.

--
Cyrille Berger