List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Merge data from Kexi to KWord
From:       John Jason Jordan <johnxj () comcast ! net>
Date:       2008-02-12 3:13:15

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:12:04 +0100
Jaroslaw Staniek <js@iidea.pl> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan said the following, On 2008-02-11 07:37:
> > I go into Tools > Configure Mail Merge > Open Existing, and in the
> > popup I select Qt-SQL Source (power user) - which is the only choice -
> > and then I click on OK.
> >
> > This gives me another popup asking for Hostname, Driver, Database name,
> > Username and Port. I enter the name of the computer (Devil7), leave the
> > driver at QMYSQL3 (the only option), drag the database file from
> > Nautilus into the Database Name box (the filename appears correctly),
> > enter my username (jjj), and leave the Port at "default."
> >
> > When I click on OK, I am prompted for the password, so I enter the root
> > password. And then I get "Can't connect to MySQL server on
> > 'Devil7' (111)."
> >
> > I suspect that putting "Devil7" in the top box is wrong, but I can't
> > find anything in the Help files that explains where to tell KWord to
> > look for the file. The file is right here on the same computer as KWord
> > - not on a networked server somewhere.

> IIRC, this feature has been added long before Kexi appeared.

Which feature do you mean?

> Kexi's is not QtSQL-based, the KWord's feature is not dependent on whether the
> database was created usign Kexi or not. Your problem can be related to
> connection itself. Why do you use nautilus in the procedure or enter uppercase
> computer name? Try entering IP address or locelhost if the database is put on
> the same computer.
>
> and try to test:
> mysql -h {IP} -u root -p

I get the error message "Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)." I get this error message
whether I try to connect via KWord (Tools > Configure Mail Merge), or
using the command line you gave me above.

As for why I used Nautilus, it was just a fast way to type the filename
into the box in the KWord connection window. The Kexi file is
named /home/jjj/REPI/QuestionBank_kexi.kexi. I got tired of typing it
over and over again and found that the filename and path are inserted
automatically if I just drag the file from a Nautilus window into the
box. Besides, it eliminates typos.

> > Can someone give me a step by step for how to get KWord to merge data
> > from a Kexi database file?
>
> Exprort to CSV from Kexi, then paste or insert the file. Kexi also ofers a
> Python plugin for exporting tables to html, which could be imported too.

I can export from Kexi as .csv files, but the database has 43 tables in
it. Doing them one at a time would be painful. Furthermore, I never
want to merge an entire table, so I use queries to select specific
records from the 43 tables and place them into another table called
"Worktable." "Worktable" is what I want to merge from, but the data in
it will always be changing. Furthermore, most of the tables have 25+
fields but I want only selected fields, not the entire table. Pasting
an entire table into a KWord document is not a solution.

> For Kexi 2 there's a plan for more direct embedding of query results in other
> KDE apps.

So at this time KWord cannot connect to data in Kexi?

Thanks for the suggestions. Still trying to figure out how to merge
selected data into a word processor. I'd actually prefer to merge into
OpenOffice.org Writer, but I tried KWord because OOo cannot merge data
from Kexi either. I thought it might be easier using a KDE app like
KWord.