List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: News on MS opening their binary document specs
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-01-18 11:55:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 18 January 2008, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > I think this might be an interesting link for the KOffice team:
> >
> > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20080117131256697
>
> The documentation on the binary format itself is not so interesting,
> because already (since some time ago) you can ask Microsoft and
> they'll send you a copy.
>
> The open-source project to convert binary-to-OOXML is interesting.
> However, we still have to wait until it is released. If it is (again)
> .NET-based tool and even released with a non-(L)GPL compatible
> license, then it's not really useful.

The Microsoft blog of Brian Jones says this about the converter:
"...The Translator will be available under the open source Berkeley Software
Distribution (BSD) license, and anyone can use the mapping, submit bugs and
feedback, or contribute to the Project.  The Translator Project will start on
February 15, 2008..."

So, it has not been started yet, but will be suitably licenced.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring