List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: take KOffice out of Kde?
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2007-10-07 11:25:22

On Friday 05 October 2007 18:51, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> I also guess that the reason why people propose marketing KOffice outside
> of KDE is that KDE is still perceived just as a desktop, not as 1) a
> platform providing set of development technologies, 2) a culture of its own
> kind. But fortunately there's large coordiated work to improve this
> situation for KDE 4.

Well, that is about to change.  One of the really big differences between KDE4
and KDE 3.x is that KDE4 is portable.  This isn't so important for the
desktop itself, since not many people are likely to switch from the windows
desktop to the KDE desktop but windows platform.  For applications it is very
important.

As a result, much of the marketing message for KDE4 has been and will be even
more to position it as a platform for development and not just a desktop.
KOffice will of course be a part of that: An application suite based on the
KDE4 platform, but runnable on all major operating systems and their
desktops.

The good news is that we won't have to do this ourselves.  Since all the power
of the KDE marketing team is behind it, there will be lots of articles,
blogs, and other things that tell this story.  When KOffice 2.0 is out, we
can just jump on this bandwagon (how's that for a piece of marketing
BS? :-) ) and ride the wave of adaption of KDE applications.

That's of course not to say that we won't do our own marketing.  I have just
received the news that I will be allowed to speak for appr. an hour about
KOffice at the KDE4 release event.  I'll be sure to get a powerful message
out there about the future of KOffice!

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |