List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Some suggestions of features coming out from Lotus Word Pro
From:       Richard Van Den Boom <richard.vdboom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-20 18:29:53

Hi, Thomas!
Thanks for the reply.

> I think we are coming real close to this.
> This is mostly plugin driven and about all of them need more tweaking or
> even a major restructuring.
> But the general concept is being implemented for KOffice2.
What was really interesting is that it was non-modal (I think it's the good
term) : every change was automatically applied and the box was opened all the
time.

> For KWord I do have 'booklets' on the agenda. Which means a different
> document for each section and combining them for page-numbering.
> The idea to have tabs for showing them all is an interresting one, though.
> I'll keep it in mind.
That would be a nice addition, yes. Having the possibility to create sections
as tabs in a single document was even greater, but I suppose it's more
intrusive in the way KWord currently works and could potentially be a problem
of how to save it in ODF.

> Interresting.
> I'm thinking that we could have a new tool that only shows up when the
> current selection has a text frame where we can select the tool and after
> initializing it by clicking on some code we can just click on text to
> make it apply the formatting. Would that do what you mean?
It's roughly that, yes. Word Pro could also apply the style of the originaly
selected text instead of the actual formatting, and this was really nice.

> Thats also on my TODO list. I rewrote the find dialog, but have not even
> gotten to the replace dialog.  And selecting styles was indeed next on my
> list. But I prioritized it for after 2.0.
Cool! That will be great!

> And they are useful, indeed. Thanks!
> We might not get to them soon, but I have a good memory and I'll be sure
> to take these items into account because I find them pretty good ideas
> myself :)
Well, I know you guys are making a complete overall of Koffice and that you're
not that numerous.
I'm not expecting any to come soon indeed, but I thought that at the moment
when some design choices were still be made, maybe it was a good time to
suggest these, so as to allow design choices that would allow to implement
them more easily.

Anyway, I really want again to congratulate you all for the job done, it's
really impressive.

Best regards,

	Richard