List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Word Count For KWord?
From:       John Meyer <johnmeyer () pueblonative ! com>
Date:       2007-05-23 3:06:23

Graham wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:43:03 -0600
> John Meyer <johnmeyer@pueblonative.com> wrote:
>

>>> Its located in an obscure location, however, as I would not thought
>>> of looking for a word count facility in File/Statistics.  Any
>>> chance of migrating this one to the Tools menu?
>>>

>> I don't think of that as an obscure location.  Other word processors
>> do keep something akin to Document Statistics in the file menu, such
>> as author, date modified, and even number of words.
>>

> Well.....  Abiword and OpenOffice Writer both have a Word Count option
> in the Tools menu.  I would reckon that most people would recognise
> these as the other de facto standard word processors under Linux, so
> there is a kind of standard.
>
> The word count is not just a statistic with me, but a tool I need to
> use to frame my university assignments.  It is also a requirement that
> the word count be placed at the end of the assignment text, so again it
> is a tool I use.

Which absolutely I could see that there, and this might be nit picking,
but I would think there is a difference between overall information
(file name, author, etc), and fields (like word count).  Variable might
not be the most obvious place to put it, but it still works.
> It might not have been so obscure a location (in the File Menu rather
> than the Tools Menu) if the word count had been an expressly stated
> menu item, but it just didn't occur to me that the Word Count would be
> a Statistic, and so embedded in the Statistics submenu.  I understand
> that Statistics do generally contain items like the date modified, the
> date written, etc - just not the word count, and it IS an obscure
> location to me :-)
>
> I might not be the only one.  Users of KDE in my local computer club do
> NOT use KWord because they believe there is no Word Count included in
> it.  Today I was able to demonstrate that there is a method of getting
> the word count.  However, could the developers of KWord consider
> including a Word Count item in the Tools menu in future versions of
> KWord?  That would bring it in line with the two other major Linux word
> processors.
>
> And if you could just click on the menu item and have an option to
> include the Word Count in the text, I'd be REALLY happy :-)
>
> Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread BTW.

Well, whatever floats I guess.
BTW, is there any sort of a macro system in KWord?  Seems like you could
just assign it to a keystroke of some sort.