List:       koffice
Subject:    My expirience using Krita
From:       "Sara Vasquez" <tikal26 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-01-04 4:25:22

Hello,

I use Krita once in a while, but I never use it for a long time. I
needed to work on my portfolio and decide to take Krita for a run.

I am an architecture student and currently use photoshop to touch up
my render or photos do photomontages and create my own .hdr images
(CS2 is a hit am miss when it come to this)

1.) interface- I am not sure if I am doing this right, but once in
while I convert the images into  Lab and the I separate them so that I
can apply adjustment layer to only the L channel which seem to work
fine the only problem is that the adjustment layer appears on top of
it. I tried doing adjustment to the other channels just to see what
happened and they appear above the channel. shouldn't they be nested
under the channel where the adjustment was made.So insted of  (I've
attached a pic of how it currently looks)
Adjustment Layer (This was made under the L channel)
it should be

-L
---Adjustment Layer
-a
-b
 Theother things is that sometime I would like to apply the sharpen
filter on only this channel which does not seems to be possible.

2.) .hdr and OpenEXR- I this point in time the only thing I can do
with Krita is open and exr image and convert it to a jpg or tiff. I
don't know if you are planning on improving this inside krita, but if
I am in linux I currently use Qtpfsgui  to create and do my
tonemapping. http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/ this is based on Qt 4
and even works in windows and is gpl, it is a very nice program(
little bit slow), but I would like to have the ability to do this
inside Krita with hdr and exr. There is also another Qt based tool,
but I never tried it
http://theplaceofdeadroads.blogspot.com/2006/07/qpfstmo-hdr-tone-mapping-gui-for-linux_04.html

3.) Panoramas- I do this in photoshop with some plugins, but I found
about hugin that uses panorama tools and it does a decent job.
Currently creating a panorama in Krita is a manual and painfull process
kind of not worth doing that way. Lately I being using smartblend
which does a really nice job
 http://smartblend.panotools.info/

4.) Photomontages- Ok so this is a pain anywhere, but this are just
ideas of things I saw at siggraph or other gpl programs I found here
and there.
drag and drop pasting
http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~leojia/all_project_webpages/ddp/drag-and-drop_pasting.html
This other tools is great if you get it to compile and its gpl
http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/photomontage/
siox
www.siox.org
This has nothing to do with what I do for work, but it would be nice
if Krita could do this
http://visgraph.cs.ust.hk/MoXi

This brings me to a big problem when working with graphics outside of
the command line tools in Linux sometimes I create my own hdr
panoramas and then I create my photomontages using krita.  I would like
to do all this inside Krita.

OK , so you might notice that this things are more specialized things
that even photoshop is learning to do (CS3 is supposed to improve its
hdr tools). You are doing a great job and Krita is moving in laps and
bounds everytime a new version comes out I am amazed at the pace of
development. I can pretty much do everything else I need, but I must
say that compare to photoshop and the gimp it is a little slow.  I
know that this is alot but it is at least something to consider for
the future maybe someday Krita would be able to do all this and more.
Again thanks for the great job you guys are doing.