List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Which scripting language to use with KSpread?
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2006-12-05 12:17:02

On Monday 04 December 2006 15.09, Terry wrote:
> I'd appreciate a head start on choosing the right scripting language to
> use with KSpread.
>
> Last year I spent several weeks converting my Lotus spreadsheets to
> OpenOffice and the related scripting to StarBasic.  Since then, I've
> wondered whether I should have taken the plunge and used Python instead,
> although OpenOffice does not seem to cater well for Python scripting.

Well, I have just done some python scripting for OOo at work, and even if the
object model is horribly difficult to penetrate, python itself works pretty
well. If you run it on Linux, you will most likely have to add a package
(openoffice.org-pyuno on Fedora), but otherwise it's nothing strange.

> With Python, on the other hand, I would have a language that could
> conceivably have other uses, whereas StarBasic is limited to OpenOffice
> and StarOffice.

Indeed. I suggest that you use pythong for Koffice scripting, and if you don't
think you have invested too much in Star Basic already that you use python
for your future OOo scripting too.  People who love Ruby will no doubt
recommend that for KOffice, but I don't think that is an alternative for OOo,
though.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |