List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Compatibility
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-12-03 22:10:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 01 December 2006 23:39, Frank Verleun wrote:
> If you want to "set foot" in the "office world" these issues are vital. As
> long as 99,9% of all business are using Microsoft's it is mandatory....
> life is hard....but setting a new standard is virually impossible.

And yet, that's exactly what is happening right now.
MS wants to set a new standard by introducing that in Office 2007, which at
minimum will divide the current userbase into two camps since its not
backwards compatible with older office suites.

The rest of the industry has created an open document format (ODF) that, in
contrary to Microsofts office format can be read and written by anyone that
cares to read the 700 pages ISO certified format. Now, and for decades to
come.

KOffice also uses ODF. So its directly compatible with OpenOffice, no
conversion required. Governments are switching to ODF en mass, choosing it
because its an certified and open fileformat which no one company can
control. So no fear of being unable to read the data some years down the
road.

I suggest googling for ODF, finding out if choosing MS Office' formats is
actually an economic choice for those companies.
http://www.opendocumentfellowship.org
http://www.odfalliance.org/
http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1246

Cheers!