List:       koffice
Subject:    printing from kword (question about font embedding)
From:       Christopher Pinon <ch_pinon () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2006-10-17 8:10:46

Hi,

I'm new to kword (and to koffice and kde, for that matter). I have a
question about printing from kword to a postscript file, using truetype
fonts in kword. If I choose to embed the (truetype) fonts in the
postscript file, they appear to get embedded as type 3 fonts, i.e.,
basically as bitmaps. This, of course, means that any pdf file created
from the postscript file will also contain type 3 fonts, which isn't so
great. My question is whether there's any way to have the truetype
fonts embedded as truetype fonts (i.e., as outlines instaed of bitmaps)
in the postscript file.

(I understand the kword uses qt for printing, so ultimately this may be
a qt question. However, it is relevant for the use of kword.)

A related question is whether type 1 fonts in kword also get embedded
as type 3 fonts in the postscript file. (I haven't experimented with
this yet.)

Thanks,
Christopher