List:       koffice
Subject:    "make install" error with koffice 1.5.2
From:       Ron Hunter-Duvar <ronhd () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2006-07-20 5:22:57

Hi,

I'm trying to build and install koffice 1.5.2 on Mandriva 2006 Linux.

I downloaded the koffice 1.5.2 tarball and unpacked it. Then I alternated
between ./configure and installs of other packages until I had all but two
optional dependencies resolved (I didn't try to resolve mysql for kexi, b/c I
don't plan on using mysql, only postgresql; and for some reason my nvidia
opengl support is not recognized, but I'm not concerned about this right
now).

"make" ran clean. But when I do a "make install" in a root shell, I get this
error:

make[4]: Entering directory `/home/rhd/devel/koffice/koffice-1.5.2/lib/store'
test -z "/usr/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/lib"
 /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c -p
'libkstore.la' '/usr/lib/libkstore.la'
/usr/bin/install: preserving times for `/usr/lib/libkstore.so.3.0.0': No such
file or directory
/usr/bin/install: cannot set time stamps for `/usr/lib/libkstore.so.3.0.0': No
such file or directory
make[4]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1

I'm a developer, and I have some experience with make, but most of the gnu
autoconf/automake stuff is black magic to me. I tried to work out what was
going wrong here, but I'm a little over my head.

I noticed that the libkstore.so.3.0.0 doesn't exist in
~/devel/koffice/koffice-1.5.2/lib/store, but does in
~/devel/koffice/koffice-1.5.2/lib/store/.libs.

I'm wondering if I can fix this by changing this line in Makefile.am:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libkstore.la

to:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = .libs/libkstore.la

Or will this break something else? If this will work, do I just have to
run ./configure again, or are there any other steps I have to do to have this
change show up in the Makefile? Or is there some other way I can fix this?

--
Opinions are mine. Don't blame anyone else. Rely on them at your own risk.