List:       koffice
Subject:    OpenXML support in KOffice
From:       Jean Goffinet <jgoffinet () clever-age ! com>
Date:       2006-07-17 9:14:48

Hi everyone,

I am the project leader of the "ODF Add-in for Word 2007" project. It is
an Open Source project hosted on SourceForge
(<https://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter/>) that aims at
providing ODF support in Word. At the begining of the project, we chose
to work with XSL transformations that would be independant from the
application that would use them (currently there are only two of them: a
Windows command line tool and an Add-in for Word 2007). Those
transformations are likely to be usable in KOffice to open and save
OpenXML (docx) files. To do this, there should only be some rewriting of
the pre and post-processings in Java or C++ (the current implementation
is using C#).

The project is still at its early stage (we released a first prototype
last week), but it already allows converting an ODT file to a DOCX file.
The reverse conversion is planed for the end of this year. We're
developing it under a BSD-like license that won't prevent anyone from
reusing our code in other projects. Please inform me wether you might be
interested in joining the team to speed up the developments in order to
integrate them into KOffice.

Best regards,

Jean Goffinet

--
Jean GOFFINET          http://www.clever-age.com
Clever Age  -  Conseil en architecture technique