List:       koffice
Subject:    Buliding debian packages fails miserably
From:       Till Kothe <chillmann () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-27 10:17:52

Hi koffice list,
Since I couldn't find any debian packages for KOffice 1.4 and wanted
to try out krita, I downloaded the sources (koffice-1.4.0a.tar.bz2)
and wanted to compile it myself. Finding a "debian" subdir in the
sourcetree I though: "Well, why not try to build some debian
packages?".
So I started my dpkg-buildpackage, but wasn't really successful.
It looks like the debian rules are obsolete. First of all I get
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 1:1.3.5-4
why is that? I thought I was building 1.4.0a?
Then a lot of patches to the Makefile.am files fail (don't want to
paste the output here).
Then I get:
dpkg-source: warning: source directory `./koffice-1.4.0a' is not
<sourcepackage>-<upstreamversion> `koffice-1.3.5'
Yeah right... I don't want any 1.3.5...

nevertheless the build starts.... and fails - after a lot of CPU cycles wasted.

Now my question is: Is the debian package build expected to work? If
not (which I believe): Why is it still in the official source release?

Cheers,
Till