List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Testing KOffice 1.4pre
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2005-05-12 9:58:00

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 20.24, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I even made some practical experience with KOffice-1.4-CVS especially KWord
> with KSpread embedded. This is a BIG no-go. Using OASIS-format I lose my
> embedded spread, using koffice format I lost most of the formatings.
> A nice one: When I press the save icon in KWord the embedded spread jumps
> around - around is wrong, it jumps constantly to the upper left.
>
> [deleted]
>
> In the basics KOffice 1.4 looks fine and per se the applications works more
> solid than ever. But playing nice together shows problems so that I can not
> recommend using embedded objects.

Hi Thorsten, and thanks for your testing.

This is very serious.  All those people who have old documents created by
KOffice 1.3 won't be able to use 1.4 at all.  In fact, I think it is so
serious that we should not ship 1.4 until we can safely embed KSpread tables
or charts inside KWord.  I know from personal experience that charts inside
KSpread works, but I haven't tested it inside KWord yet (I will, though).

If it is impossible to fix the problems of KWord using OASIS and the other
components using the old XML formats, do you think you could consider
reverting the default file format to the old XML format for 1.4, David?  This
state of things is intolerable.

It also points to another matter.  We should create a collection of test
documents that test individual features of each KOffice component as well as
combinations of them, like embedding.  I was planning to do that for KSpread
after 1.4, but maybe we should start it already. This should go into a new
subdirectory on the top level, like filters today. What do you think?

 -Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |