List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Multilevel data for Kugar
From:       David Goodenough <david.goodenough () btconnect ! com>
Date:       2004-07-01 19:36:36

On Thursday 01 July 2004 16:45, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Thursday 01 July 2004 14:00, David Goodenough wrote:
> > This may seem like a silly question, but what are the rules for the
> > element and attribute list definitions for multi-level data for Kugar.
> >
> > I am trying to use it to print Invoices, and for this I have set up a
> > form which wants a level 0 record for each customer and a level 1 record
> > for each line item.  Obviously the attribute list for the customer data
> > and for the line items are different.
> >
> > For the customer I have customer, address1, address2, address3,
> > county, postcode and then for the line items description, price,
> > cat and total.
> >
> > What does the ATTLIST for the Row need to look like for this case?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > David
>
> Looking in the WebCVS for Kugar I think I have found the answer,
> i.e. that I need to have the different attributes as optional attributes
> on the Row definition - would it not be better to have the data
> rows names not fixed, and nested by the ELEMENT definition, and
> then you could have separate defintions for each type of data.
>
> However, while looking through the WebCVS, I came across the
> stuff for doing Kugar straight out of an SQL Database.  Is this
> available in a production version or is it new for the next version?
>
> I looked in the Kugar Designer that ships with Kugar 1.3.1 and
> there does not seem to be anything about databases there.
>
> Using direct DB access would make it so much easier to do what
> I am wanting to do.  If it is only in CVS then I suppose I will have
> to build my own from CVS.
>
> David
Sorry to keep responding to my own posts, but I seem to be generating
questions quicker that I am finding answers.

If I have a Calculated Field which is the sum of items in one of the
rows of the data, where can it go.  If I define it in the Footer for that
level I get is repeated between each line of the data, if I define it
in the level above that it seems to get ignored.

I have also looked at the CVS version of kugar, and can find lots
of samples talking about database access, but I am unsure whether
there is an UI support for databases?  I think not, I presume not
yet.

Also a suggestion.  I notice a --print option has been added, but
it still thows up a dialog box to selec the printer and its options.
Could there not be a value to the --print option which either
had a complete set of print parameters, or at least had the
printer name (I normally want the print to PDF option).  Alternatively
could there be a --pdf option which took the data file name and
wrote to the corresponding pdf file?

David