List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: newbie installation issues
From:       Marc Heyvaert <marc_heyvaert () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-06-06 19:45:00

Hello Richard,

The best way to install Koffice for a non-technical
KDE (or Linux) user, is to do it from binary packages,
not from the sources. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of
binaries existing for Redhat. Perhaps someone else may
confirm this, but I thin that the links on the koffice
site only point to Mandrake and SuSE packages. But
searching the internet may yield something...

Installing from sources is a little bit harder,
especially because you need a working 'tool' chain on
your PC, so all the compilers and help programs to
compile KOffice. You also need to have a part of KDE
installed and from a lot of packages you also need the
so called 'developement packages'. But a lot of
"user-friendly" distributions don't install those per
default. So the conclusion is that probably your
system -if it came right out of the box, or CD- may
need some tweaking before you can actually compile ANY
program. So I want to stress that it is not some added
compexity from KOffice.

Having said that, trying to do this install can be fun
(and sometimes a bit frustrating) but you will learn a
lot about linux! So the decision is yours...

The following pages may help you with your quest :

http://www.koffice.org/releases/1.3.1-release.php

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Compiling+KOffice+Step+by+Step

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+CVS+Step+by+Step

I hope this helps

Marc

P.S. The wiki seems to be down for the moment. If the
page doesn't come up, try again later.