List:       koffice
Subject:    Macro OASIS standard, was: A nice macro system based on Javascript
From:       Marco Fioretti <mfioretti () mclink ! it>
Date:       2004-05-27 8:48:05

> ==========================

> It would be fine to see included in KOffice a nice macro system,
> like the microsoft's VBA in Office, but with the Javascript language
> (because it's nicer as basic)
> It could for instance use KJSEmbed... And with a good editor
> and a macro recorder (but the last is a dream ;) ) it would be
> a very cool feature !!!

Some days ago I pointed out here the "embedded database"
issue. We tell users "switch to KOffice because so and so, and
you keep full compatibility with OO.o users because we are
all based on the OASIS format. Then people try to exchange
database queries, report and such and everything falls apart
(see my other thread for examples).

This is the same thing. If KOffice goes OASIS (which, if you ask
me, is one of the greatest and best news in the last year!!) I
and pretty much every non technical user will expect that it is
possible to exchange/co-edit back and forth .sxw or .sxc files with
any macro inside.

In other words, isn't the issue already solved, and nobody just
realized it? Regardless of what may be cooler, nicer, faster. Or
safer, for that matter.

OOffice-wise, OASIS compatibility means that KOffice simply has to
integrate the StarBasic language, or whatever they call it today.
Or not?

Ciao,

Marco Fioretti