List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: The real reason for an OASIS database?
From:       Lucijan Busch <lucijan () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-05-23 14:55:10

On Sunday 23 May 2004 14:10, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> So I think it would be great to have all these
> dataprograms making use of some sort of (limited)
> backend that doesn't need any sort of special install
> or setup. This would probably come with a certain
> price in terms of possibilities, but at the same time
> the possibility to use a proper backend like MySQL
> could remain open.
>
> On reading the announcements on
> http://www.koffice.org/kexi/ I don't think kexi is
> going that way. Installing some sort of database will
> still be necessary. Wouldn't it be possible to include
> a something like SQLite with the KOffice distribution
> and make ./configure check if some usable database is
> already installed on the target system and otherwise
> install the default. Or installe the default anyway,
> unless the user has set a parameter during configure?
actually this is exactly what kexi does... it brings a subset of SQLITE called
kexisql in it's trees but still allowes usage of other RDBMS (these are not
supported in the frontend for now but that should change pretty soon since it
works with the cli test suits). you can simply create a file and do anything
with data you want to do :) ... save it mail it ... what ever...

i already started thinking about a OASIS like database format and already have
quite clear ideas... later we will use this format also for storage of
templates which should be compleatly RDBMS independent.

   lucijan