List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: The real reason for an OASIS database?
From:       David Goodenough <david.goodenough () btconnect ! com>
Date:       2004-05-23 12:25:23

I am not at all sure I agree with the logic here.  The databases are very
easy for the most non-geek of users, generally you just install them, what is
difficult is the way that you present data to the end user.

The Open Source world has very good DBs in MySql and
PostgreSQL, but what it is missing is the front end.  The differences
between the DBs are reducing all the time, and actually there are
probably more differences between these OO DBs and the propietary
DBs such as Oracle and DB2.  Exactly the same situation exists on
Windows with Access, you can write code that all the DBs understand
or you can write DB specific code.  What is needed is a good front end
that encourages DB neutral code and is as easy to use as Access.  The
underlying DB is almost entirely irrellevant.

David