List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: I would like to help ...
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-05-22 14:55:37

On Thursday 20 May 2004 22:34, Calvin Barcley wrote:
> Hi koffice team!
>
> First of all, thank you for the good office!

Thank you!

> I would like to help you with the filters, but I dont know if I am able to
> help. I am not a coder yet. I know html quite well, maybe i could help with
> the html filters.

Thank you for considering helping us.

HTML is used in 4 places in KOffice:
- the KPresenter HTML export (koffice/kpresenter/webpresentation.*)
- the KSpread HTML filter (koffice/filters/kspread/html)
- the KWord HTML filters (koffice/filters/kword/html)
- and of course the KOffice's web site: http://www.koffice.org (www/areas/
koffice)

If you want to code for the filters, you need to run KOffice CVS HEAD (which
can be done either with KDE CVS HEAD or with KDE 3.2.x.)

The KPresenter HTML export was modfied for KOffice 1.3, so I think that it is
the one that needs less work. It has the disadvantage to be fully integrated
in KPresenter, making it harder to understand.

The KSpread HTML filter is (nearly) unmodified since long ago, but it too is
tightly linked to KSpread.

The KWord hTML filters are more independant but that makes that they are
dependant on the current change from the KWord 1.3 file format to the OASIS
wordprocessor file format. So it is perhaps not the right time to work on
them. (But perhaps the right time to learn to know them.) The import filter
depend on KHTML (Konqueror's HTML browser) making it a little harder, the
export filter depends on the KWord export filter library.

So perhaps for a beginner working on koffice.org would sound more attractive.
(Your English seems not bad.) The site uses XHTML 1.0 (which is not too much
different from HTML4, except lower case tags and attributes, attributes are
always quoted, you must always close tags (even empty ones like <br /> and
<hr /> .) The site uses also PHP but for most pages it just represents the
header and the footer and you would not need to really know PHP (just to
change the variable for the heading.)

The work needed for koffice.org could be diverse. It can be to create more
documents for users or try to find outdated information in the pages or
propably many other things (including, if you would want, making a weekly or
monthly overview on what happens in KOffice's world.)

> I hope to hear from you.
> Calvin Barcley
>
> Sorry for my bad English.

Have a nice day!