List:       koffice
Subject:    using ispell for non-english languages
From:       Marc Heyvaert <marc_heyvaert () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-03-21 19:10:01

Hello,

I have ispell installed on my system with a number of
dictionaries. In KOffice/Kword only the default
dictionaries seem to work. When I try to change the
dictionary to ,say dutch, I get the following error :

"The font 'symbol' is missing. Do you want to change
the font style anyway?"

The strange thing is that when I try to use
spellchecking with Lyx nothing happens, except that my
screen font changes to the first available font on my
system (aachner or something). So starting up ispell
seems to do something to the fonts on my system???

Like I said in English everything works fine.

I have check ispell from the commandline (ispell -d
nederlands) and every word that I type comes back with
ok or the right suggestions. So the program seems to
be working. It is a program that hasn't been updated
for 3 years or so, but it is probably very stable
also. Therefore I wonder if the error wasn't
introduced with KDE 3.2's new font handling
capabilities. I didn't have this -not with KOffice,
not with Lyx- when I was still running KDE 3.1, so I'm
not sure it is a problem with my SuSE 8.2 distro.

Any ideas?

Marc