List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord printing freezes
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-03-21 1:36:17

On Sunday 21 March 2004 02:21, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> I'm having a strange printing problem with KWord. An MSWord file I opened
> in Kword (and edited) would not print, while another document printed
> perfectly well. Here is a screenshot:
>
> http://www.websher.net/Kword-printing.png
>
> Every time I've tried to print it, Kword crashes.

It is hard to guess what it might be without any file to look at.

If you use Linux 2.6, we had already a report of a crash while printing, but
it was always, so it is perhaps not your case.

Also there are the known Achilles' heels of KWord. Does your document has a
table, especially a complex one or one that is more than one page long?

Can you print to a file? If yes, to PDF too?

> By the way, does Kword create an automatic backup. If not, what happens
> when Kword crashes?

If you mean a save-at-crash like in AbiWord, no, KWord cannot do that. We have
not any memory-saving save function for KWord, so it is not something that
can be done currently. (During a crash, you cannot handle big bunches of
memory, as it would lead to follow-up problems.)

So you have to go to the last saved version. (At restart KWord will propose
you to load the last automatically saved document.)

> Thank you.

Have a nice day!