List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: koffice 1.3 compilation with KDE 3.1.1
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-03-20 22:21:46

On Saturday 20 March 2004 23:04, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hello Nicolas,
>
> --- Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de> wrote:
> > KPresenter needs arts and something in arts is
> > giving you problems.
>
> Well, since I turned back the installation to Qt3.1 +
> KDE 3.1 + (mad + glade to be on the safe side) I was
> able to finish the installation, without problems. I
> didn't set QTDIR nor KDEDIR before starting the
> compilation. I thought this wasn't needed because Qt
> and KDE where the regular versions on my system and I
> installed in the same prefix as KDE, so I wanted to
> try this...and it worked. Is this to be considered as
> a general rule? I mean, do you have to set QTDIR and
> KDEDIR only if there location differs from the
> 'normal' location for your distribution?

It was needed in the past, as ./configure could not find it itself. Now it is
perhaps less true, unless $QTDIR, $KDEDIR or $KDEDIRS are defined (which is
distribution-dependent.)

> When 'make install' finishes the script urges me to
> include /opt/kde3/bin in my PATH. I was somewhat
> surprised because the prefix that I used is my normal
> KDEDIR and I would have expected my system to now
> about the bin dir there. But doing an echo $PATH
> didn't show this to be so, so I added it to .bashrc
> Could you tell me if it was absolutely needed (for my
> small tutorial).

Well, the answer is somewhat similar than before. :-)

If you would want to type "kword" in a Konsole, you need the path. if you
always click nicely in one of the menus, you do not need it (as KDE can find
the necessary library itself.)

> Where can I check to see if Kresenter really needs mad
> audio and glade too? Or was this just a sideeffect of
> arts not working as it should?

KPresenter only needs arts. But if arts needs the other libraries, KPresenter
needs to link to those libraries too.

> Regards and thanks
>
> Marc

Have a nice day!