List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Koffice -- SUCCESS!!!
From:       Benjamin Sher <delphi123 () zebra ! net>
Date:       2004-03-14 19:53:44

Dear Marc:

Thanks so much for such a thoroughgoing critique.

Looks like I was wrong.

1) Yes, I found the .desktop for the other non-Koffice KDE applications. I
don't remember quite where, but I think in /usr/lib/kde3/

Meanwhile, it's back to the drawing-boards. I have uninstalled Koffice, but
NOT removed the source directory with all the executables.  So, it would be
easy for me to try different installation strategies.

Here's the kbuildsycoca command:

Dell:/home/sher# kbuildsycoca
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
kbuildsycoca running...
Dell:/home/sher#

Well, it looks like Koffice's home page instructions about KDEDIRS are the
key. Unfortunately, as simple as this sounds, I just don't know what
directories are meant and precisely how to type up the export command. If we
finally succeed, I'd guess I would add the export command into etc/profile
(or bash_profile). Right?

Thanks so much. I can't go on anymore for the time being. However, the
solution may be just around the corner. If only I could figure out the exact
KDEDIRS command. Koffice says that should make Koffice work.

Can you help me with that command? Can we just try that? Is there a way for me
to determine precisely which directories are involved and how to forumulate
the precise command for the console?

Thanks so much again. I know you have been working hard on this. For me, it's
time to at last go to sleep.

Is Koffice really worth all this agony? May yes, maybe not. But it is a
challenge. But how could Koffice make it so damn nearly impossible for its
own target audience to even try it.

Benjamin

Benjamin Sher
delphi123@zebra.net