List:       koffice
Subject:    Statistical Tests ...
From:       Mark Arrasmith <arrasmith () math ! wichita ! edu>
Date:       2004-02-26 17:50:13

After reading this paper ...
	http://www.csdassn.org/software_reports.html

I decided to go through Kspread and check out its performance on statistical
tests.  I've only gotten through the Poisson Distribution so far and KSpread
1.3 seems to have the same problems as Excel.

Also, the cell values are sometimes  correct, but the displayed contents are
incorrect at times.  For example =POISSON(10,200,1) shows 0.00000E+00 in the
cell, but the status bar sum shows the correct value of 4.10958 E-71.  But,
the poisson algorithm fails for =POISSON(number,200,1) where number >= 134.

The author of the paper seems to have contacted the Gnumeric developers to
help them with similar flaws.  I figure maybe a collaboration with author and
the KSpread developers is in order?

- Mark Arrasmith

--
QOTD:
	"I've got one last thing to say before I go; give me back