List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: users book about KOffice
From:       Thomas Zander <TZander () FactotumMedia ! nl>
Date:       2004-02-13 15:03:19

On Friday 13 February 2004 15:40, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:

> > I understand it the books are copyrighted.
> Having the "book" on www.koffice.org as a
> accompanying guide would be great. But if possible we should also provide a
> printed version - I for example prefer having a real book in my hands if
> it's more than 100 pages.

To get back to Eugenes question and Rephaels implied question I think I should
explain the reason I posted the URL above more in depth.

Most of us agree that doing a digital version (e-book) in either the form of
online help or extensive tutorials will be best for most of the KOffice
users.
At the same time most also agree that a big part of that group will pay for
the paper to get that book in printed form; even if it is freely available on
the web.

The problem is that with traditional publishers there is no in-between these
two; you either publish it the slow way for print, or you do it online in
e-book form for free.  I have seen an amazingly little amount of books that
successfully came to print after being online first.

From what I understand the main problem is one of cost, printing a book costs
loads of money and with the problem of fast aging of content no publisher is
going to invest in it without ridiculous contracts etc.

The goal of sourcebeat is to combine all this into a working solution.  You
can buy the always-up-to-date version on their website. Well; license it
actually, for a year.  Price is quite low. (Just right IMO)
This brings in money to keep the author(s) interrested in providing updates.
This also brings in money to do a print of the content.  Printing 1000 copies
in Germany and shipping it to all surrounding countries is viable.
(traditional publishers can't be bothered with less then 50.000 prints)

All in all; you _really_ want to create a revenue stream from writing this
book. If not for personal gain, then for printing and advertising the book.
If you don't I'm pretty sure the book will never be finished.

--
Thomas Zander