List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: embedded fonts (printing to a pdf file)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-02-11 17:24:34

First try to print to the file as PostScript and verify what happens here.
(Postscript is text-based, so can easily check the special comments starting
with a double % .)

If the Postscript file is right, you can try to convert it with GhostScript's
command line tool ps2pdf.

Printing to PDF in CUPS does the same 2 steps, however automatically, so it is
harder to find where the problem is.

As it is a general PDF generating problem, may similar problems happened in
other KDE mailing lists (Info: http://www.kde.org/mailinglists. Archives:
http://lists.kde.org ) or if the problem is inside ps2pdf then perhaps in
Ghostscript related mailing lists, forums... (Sorry, I have no address at
hand.)

Have a nice day!

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 17:37, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been browsing through the archives, convinced
> that this question must have come up before...but I
> couldn't find anything...so I'm obliged to bother you
> with it :)
>
> I have a lot of TT fonts on my system and I have
> managed to integrate these on my system (suse 8.2 now
> on KDE 3.2 and KOffice 1.3).
>
> As I have no printer connected to my machine, I want
> to create a PDF file and print this elsewhere. This
> works, but of course, the machine on which I print,
> substitutes whatever font comes near to the original.
> This has never been a big issue for me, because I
> limited myself to using a 'Times' font and that was
> OK.
>
> But now I want to use all these fancy fonts and I
> thought  that setting the option on "embedded fonts"
> and pointing CUPS to the right directory would be
> sufficient. Now setting the directory (in Kprint?) is
> no problem but the result is still a very  small file
> (about 8K for a couple of sentences with 3 different
> fonts) so there hasn't been any embedding as far as I
> know. So what can I do? Is there something that I have
> to change at the gs level or what?
>
> Regards
>
> Marc

(...)