List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice 1.3 quits instantly without messages
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-02-10 13:51:49

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 13:47, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> Posting again because trashed by mistake (or maybe sent pushing the wrong
> button, in which case, please accept my apologies for duplication)
>
> Hello,
>
> I tried to build KOffice 1.3  from source on Red Hat 9 to check that I can
> use it at least under KDE 3.1 (see my posts here yesterday about problems
> wit KDE 3.2, meinproc, etc...)
>
> It builds without apparent problems, except the fact that the
> --with-extra-dirs and --with-extra-includes options to configure have no
> effect whatsoever: I built the latest stable versions of aspell and
> ImageMagick in /opt/local/, launched configure with
>
> --with-extra-dirs= /opt/local/lib and --with-extra-includes=
> /opt/local/include
>
> configure said it would build without spell checker and would not build
> Krita at all because it  could not find recent aspell and ImageMagick. Why?

For ImageMagick, I do not know. If Magick-config is in /opt/local/bin it
should be found and processed.

What is the result of:
Magick-config --version

As for Krita, well Krita is not in KOffice 1.3, so the check is probably only
for the Latex export filters.

As for aspell, you have the library and its headers, haven't you?

> The real problem is another however. I decided to make anyway, to get a
> taste of the software

Yes, that is the best for KOffice. Try to make it first and then fix one by
one the missing libraries.

> make and make install went OK, but, when I now launch /opt/local/bin/kword,
> nothing happens. The prompt goes back immediately without warnings, no
> message at all

Is KDE also in /opt/local ?

Otherwise, you will have to set $KDEDIRS like
/opt/local:/path/to/kde

> The only thing providing a window is /opt/local/bin/koshell, which however
> is empty (no parts, nothing)
>
> How should I proceed now, to *know* what''s happening and fix it?

I have not really any idea for now, may be David has one.

> TIA,
> Marco FIoretti

Have a nice day!