List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: koffice apps and interoperability with the rest of the world
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-09 13:45:40

On Sunday 08 February 2004 13:02, BARTKO, Zoltan wrote:
> Is it possible to modify KWord's behaviour *without* modifying the source so that I \
> can restrict printing to people having the sufficient access rights (specified in \
> the DB)  or save a document to the database?
You can use the KIOSK framework to implement restrictions, see \
kdelibs/kdecore/README.kiosk

> (Could DCOP do that?) Once I read in the manual there was some scripting support \
> available. Is it worth trying to use it?
The scripting support _is_ DCOP.

> A lot simpler approach would be to invoke KWord every time I need to write \
> something as a separate app. In this case is it possible to do the following: 1. \
> retrieve the data from the DB 2. pass the data to KWord,
> 3. process the data in KWord
> 4. return the data to the DB
> without using files, e.g. saving the data to the disk?
Sounds difficult. Well, the best way to do that would be an appropriate ioslave -
maybe kio_sql does the job already? Then the loading/saving can be done directly
from/to the DB.

> I see there must be something like this, since I can use object frames of Kivio in \
> Kword for instance without saving the file to disk.
Hmm, well, when you save the kword doc, the kivio frame is saved inside that file.... \
so this looks unrelated to me.

> Now what happens, if I want to use autosave in step #3? Could it be done?
> Could it be done that I do an autosave to disk and then send the data to the \
> calling app?
Good point, autosave should probably be local instead of remote when the document
itself is remote. I guess this isn't implemented that way currently, but could easily \
be fixed. Or simply set an "autosave path" in KOffice's config, this will force a \
local autosaving.