List:       koffice
Subject:    couldn't find native MimeType error grrr...
From:       Marc Heyvaert <marc_heyvaert () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-01-11 14:32:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello,

I compiled Friday's Koffice snapshot and all went well. I use it along my regular \
Koffice installation, to experiment with the code. Last time around, about 2 months \
ago, I had this "couldn't find the native MimeType in kspread's desktop.file error" \
and I eventually solved it (probably using the trick of deleting a possible \
incompatible kspread.desktop file somewhere, but I really forgot what exact procedure \
I used).
Now we are here again....This time around I'm sure that as far as directories are \
concerned everything is ok, because I didn't change it from last time. I just 'make \
unstall'-ed my previous version (arts, kdelibs, kdebase and koffice) and did \
"configure --prefix=some local directory, make and make install" for the snapshot. \
KDEDIRS, etc are still set as they should be.
This error has been logged as a  bug on several occasions before. I also quote David \
Faure's mail here :
QUOTE

A great discovery was made today....

Anyone with the famous koffice startup problem, where it would say "can't find native \
\ mimetype, check your installation" - (especially if it says that for some of the \
koffice apps but not all) :

Check that your ~/.local/share/applications directory doesn't contain a .desktop
file with the name of the application that won't start. If so, remove it.

This probably only affects users of kdelibs-CVS (or 3.2-alpha), not users of \
kdelibs-3.1.x.

I have discussed this with Waldo and he hopes to fix kdelibs for this
(the bug is that the local file doesn't get merged with the global \
$prefix/share/applnk/Office/app.desktop).

END QUOTE

I really hope that this does not happen with someone compiling a release (even a \
beta) because it is a frustrating problem.
Marc