Hello David,

Just wanted to give you an update...

I think I solved my problem,

>It sounds like KDEDIRS isn't set (or not correctly) when your KDE starts.
>So it rebuilds ksycoca without the koffice prefix in it.
>You have to make sure KDEDIRS is set correctly - the safest way is
>to set it at the top of /opt/kde3/bin/startkde.

>The instructions on koffice.org also explain how you can add that prefix
>to /etc/kderc, which is even better since it means you don't have to edit
>startkde (which the next KDE upgrade will replace).

I added my prefix to /etc/kderc, but that didn't help, only after running kbuildsycoca things worked again.

Then I had a look around in my /usr/local/bin dir and I found a startkde and a startkde.lib file. The startkde.lib file let you set some parameters, so I put my kdedir and kdedirs definitions in there. After restarting the situation was still the same. (Long start cycle indicating a rebuild of the sycoca data).

I looked at startkde next. I have a suse 8.2 distribution and there is a lot of hardcoding in this file! I also saw the following lines :

unset KDEDIR
unset KDEDIRS
unset QTDIR

I transformed those into comments, and that does the trick. I can start all of the koffice applications now.

>> I'm still fumbling around with my self-compiled version of the koffice
>> beta4...
>... when RC 1 is out already :)
I guess I can repeat the whole process now with the RC 1 version :)

Regards

Marc