List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: karbon
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-27 13:27:37

On Monday 27 October 2003 02:45, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> >>
> >>No, there is real problem which would require that since resolutions of
> >>75*N can be represented in points using 2 decimal places (1200 DPI is
> >> 0.03 points so that is the highest [actually it is best to have a grid
> >> twice the resolution of the printer or be able to use units of 1/2 the
> >> grid so this isn't completely satisfactory for 1200 DPI but you can
> >> limit yourself to lines that are 2*N pixels wide at that resolution).
> >>
> >>The issue is of convenience in being able to use a user specified grid to
> >>layout something using integers rather than having to use decimal
> >> fractions of points requiring a calculator or a spread sheet.
> >
> > So your real problem is you do want a grid. One which do not use
> > Postcript points but the real points of the printer.
> >
> > I am pretty sure that something like that cannot be done currently in
> > KOffice, due to the Qt limitations.
>
> KOffice can convert it back to 72nds of an inch.  I presume that it is
> converting the other dimensions (inches, millimeters, etc) to 72nds of an
> inch before they are passed to the Qt PostScript driver.  1200ths shouldn't
> be any different.

We are limited by integers. So we have to open it in one way or another first.

> <SNIP>
>
> > As for sending a bitmap to a Postscript printer, I doubt that it will be
> > faster, as Postscript printer have CPUs that are more useful for
> > rasterizing than normal computer CPUs are.
>
> This is an open question although I would tend to agree with you that the
> RIP in the PS printer would be faster.  But, someone complained on the:
> "kde-print" list that it was taking three minutes to print images with a
> PostScript printer and that it took much less time to run them through:
> "ps2ps" first.  In any case, if we want the driver to to this, we would use
> GhostScript to do it -- GhostScript is now built as an SO library so it
> should be possible.

I was not discussing about images. If you do not use an image in Karbon (I am
not even sure that you can), you will not get an image in your Postscript.
(May be ps2ps would speed that up too, however calling ps2ps is taking time
too.) So you have to rasterize your Postscript code somewhere. I still think
that doing it in the printer is better (also because, as Thomas has written,
you need to transport the data to the printer.)

Have a nice day!