List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: karbon
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-10-27 1:45:45

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Sunday 26 October 2003 21:22, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Nicolas Goutte wrote:
>>
>>>If for you having the right resolution is more important than to have the
>>>real size, you can pre-process the print file by scaling 72/75 (or is it
>>>75/72.)
>>
>>No, there is real problem which would require that since resolutions of
>>75*N can be represented in points using 2 decimal places (1200 DPI is 0.03
>>points so that is the highest [actually it is best to have a grid twice the
>>resolution of the printer or be able to use units of 1/2 the grid so this
>>isn't completely satisfactory for 1200 DPI but you can limit yourself to
>>lines that are 2*N pixels wide at that resolution).
>>
>>The issue is of convenience in being able to use a user specified grid to
>>layout something using integers rather than having to use decimal fractions
>>of points requiring a calculator or a spread sheet.
>

> So your real problem is you do want a grid. One which do not use Postcript
> points but the real points of the printer.
>
> I am pretty sure that something like that cannot be done currently in KOffice,
> due to the Qt limitations.

KOffice can convert it back to 72nds of an inch.  I presume that it is
converting the other dimensions (inches, millimeters, etc) to 72nds of an
inch before they are passed to the Qt PostScript driver.  1200ths shouldn't
be any different.

<SNIP>

> As for sending a bitmap to a Postscript printer, I doubt that it will be
> faster, as Postscript printer have CPUs that are more useful for rasterizing
> than normal computer CPUs are.

This is an open question although I would tend to agree with you that the
RIP in the PS printer would be faster.  But, someone complained on the:
"kde-print" list that it was taking three minutes to print images with a
PostScript printer and that it took much less time to run them through:
"ps2ps" first.  In any case, if we want the driver to to this, we would use
GhostScript to do it -- GhostScript is now built as an SO library so it
should be possible.

--
JRT