List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: koffice applications fail to start
From:       Mark Arrasmith <arrasmith () math ! wichita ! edu>
Date:       2003-08-15 19:29:20

On Friday 15 August 2003 02:10 pm, Andrew Benson wrote:
> (no debugging symbols found)...
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/bin/kword
> [New Thread 1093878112 (LWP 7862)]
>
> Program exited with code 01.
> (gdb)
>

> I find that I *can* start these applications as root.......

Well... that is just a clean exit.  :(

Onto the .kde directory.  I'm assuming you use a graphical login.  Try ...

1) log out
2) [Ctl][Alt][F1] to jump to a text based login
3) login
4) mkdir old_kde
5) mv .kde .kderc old_kde/
6) [Ctl][Alt][F7]
7) login
8) see if you can run kword etc.
9) log out
10) [Ctl][Alt][F1]
11) mkdir clean_kde
12) mv .kde .kderc clean_kde/
13) mv old_kde/.kde* ~/
14) log out
15) [Ctl][Alt][F7]
16) log back in

This starts things with a default everything in .kde and then moves back your
old setting at the end.  If during the "clean" .kde login you can run kword,
then we know that the problem is in your .kde config files.  If not ... we
can track things down from there.

- mark

--
	A farmer with extremely prolific hens posted the following sign.  "Free
Chickens.  Our Coop Runneth Over."