List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Developers
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-07-07 0:10:07

Peter Simonsson wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2003 12.37, bas nowaira wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>My name is Bas, and I am a developer.  I actually have a degree in
>>software engineering.  I would like to participate in the development of
>>KOffice.
>>
>>I am looking forward to hearing from you soon!
>>

> Hi!
> The best way to start is to check out the latest sources from cvs and then
> have a look at the bugs at bugs.kde.org... When you have fixed one please
> send a patch to koffice-devel. If the patch is good it will be applied, if
> not you will be told why... :)

Perhaps it is a waste of resources to waste an engineer on just fixing bugs.

My take on thing is that KOffice is in some need of design engineering.

So, Bas -- first subscribe to the koffice-devel mailing list -- I refer you to:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&m=105550923012689&w=2

Ask:  Tomasz Grobelny <grotk@poczta.onet.pl> about it.  He seems to
unserstand the problem.  IMHO, the whole thing needs to be redesigned, but
read the whole thread --96 messages -- and decide for yourself.  This is a
big job, but first somebody needs to figure out how it should work.

If you have some time, you could help me with bug #59367.  Basically, the
problem is that if fonts are not embedded in the PostScript data sent to
the print system that eventhough the print preview is perfect, the printer
output doesn't have the correct fonts.  The casue of this appears to be
that when GhostScript is called by the print preview it finds the fonts but
when it is called by the print system it can NOT find the fonts.  I fixed
this no problem for GNUlpr but I can't figure out the problem with CUPS.

Or, you can always start by fixing the small bugs.

--
JRT