List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: [kde-linux] HELP :-)  User installed fonts won't print
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-06-23 20:04:51

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 12:20:20AM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Thomas Zander wrote:

>>>You have no idea what you are talking about when you say that.
>>>The art of font-embedding is not a very simple one.
>>
>>Perhaps if you read it again, you would see that what I am talking about is
>>printing using GhostScript WITHOUT embedding the fonts in the PS data files.
>

> Since when is ghostscript used for printing?

When you print a PostScript file and you don't have a printer with
PostScript built in, you use GhostScript to print.  Normally, your print
spooler/filter calls it -- you can do it from the command line but this is
not simple.

> I guess you have to be a lot clearer in your communications since you seem
> to have a bug in a very non-standard situation that you work around using
> an even more non-standard fix.

> Ok, it works; but I'm not sure its a fix, and the first step you should take
> in making this a fix instead of a workaround is to describe a lot clearer
> what you expect and what you get. (from reading it again; you are not acutally
> printing, just previewing).

No, previewing works fine in KWord but the problem is that if you do not
embed the fonts in the PS data, GhostScript does not find the fonts even
though you have the fonts correctly configured as per the GhostScript
documentation with the paths added to the GS_LIB environment string and the
needed: "Fontmap" files created in the font directories or the paths added
to the GS_FONTPATH  environment string for directories without a: "Fontmap"
file.

Using the prototype 'profile.d' script to set GS_LIB and GS_FONTPATH along
with the wrapper script for the GhostScript SO: "gsc" will fix this problem.

The more proper fix for this on systems that support 'profile.d' scripts is
to make the filter script a login script.  This does not work because of an
apparent problem in Bash.

> I also see you found a bug in the kcm where the behavior differs between the
> basic and the advanced modes. I suggest you report that bug seperately so it
> can be fixed.

With KFontInst?  Craig is working on this for 3.2, but the bug he found is
not in KDE.  Therefore, the GS SO wrapper script to fix it till somebody
writes a real: "gsk" front end for the GS SO.

>>I am NOT in any way talking about embedding fonts.
>

> If you are not; then the end-product (the postscript) will not print using
> your font.

If you have the fonts correctly set up for GhostScript, then it prints the
fonts correctly.  Simple.

> So its not a fix.  If for some reason you get the right font on
> paper, then I'm happy for you, but thats not going to help the majority
> of users.

As I see it, the majority of users simply embed the fonts as a workaround
for this and other bugs.

>>with GNUlpr but I have not been able to try it with CUPS because the CUPS
>>GS device won't build with GCC-3.3.
>
> Did you report that bug to them yet?

I am going to post it to the list, but I would like to get CUPS running on
my system or have some others try the fix first so that I have enough
information.

--
JRT