List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [Issue N21701]  Kword & fonts
From:       Vadim Plessky <vplessky () faringosept ! ru>
Date:       2003-05-17 19:22:25

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 13:17, you wrote:
|  On Saturday, 03. May 2003 19:42 Vadim Plessky wrote:
[...]
|  >
|  > GS gets metrics from AFM file (which complement PS Type 1/ Type3 .PFB
|  > / .PFA files). AFAIK, Qt (and therefor - KDE) ignores AFM files, while
|  > FreeType offers support for AFM metrics (and therefor - not only for
|  > character width but kerning as well) I beleive this is a Qt bug
|  > (_missing feature_) and should be fixed at Qt level.
|
|  No, I'm pretty sure freetype doesn't use AFM files. It doesn't need to
|  as it can open the font directly and read out the design metrics. AFM
|  is only ment to be a help for applications that can't interpret the
|  postscript fonts themselves.

Hello Lars,

Freetype *can* use AFM files.
You need just to attach metrics to already opened PFB or OTF file.
I think, FT examples have demo code demonstrating it.

Good variant to see all this working - get fresh enough ImageMagick, and
render some font in ImageMagick.
IM supports kerning (don't remember exact options), it opens AFM metric files.

Vadim

--

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net