List:       koffice
Subject:    What koffice lacks, was: suggestion
From:       "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2003-03-08 10:51:31

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 10:27:06 at 10:27:06AM +0100, Rob Buis (rwlbuis@xs4all.nl) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 07 March 2003 21:47, Tom daemond.com wrote:
> > If you would like to be success with K-office, you need better icons.
> >
> > Yes, everything is ONLY about the LOOK, believe me, you need better icons.
>
> nothing useful wont amount to much. But I agree koffice apps can be polished
> a lot more in the looks department.

I had decided to ignore the original message as trolling, but since
somebody else answered, I decided to to do it as well.

If it is only about the look (gee, what a desolate world would that
be...) then we have XP or Mac.

The major problem KOffice has today is that it doesn't
share a common Free file format with OOo. Yeah, right, filters, but
filters should not be necessary at all between Free SW products of the
same type. Luckily, this situation will change soon, since David Faure
of KOffice is a member of the OASIS technical committee working on a
common XML format for office documents. I hope that that work
receives, even by end users, the highest priority, much more than any
external embellishment. Today people coming from Microsoft
environments come to OOo because it looks more like MS Office.

After that,
many remain stuck there simply because they have too much of an hard
time trying to deal with the MS formats to also bother of filtering
back and forth between programs which, they were told, don't need to
lock users with incompatible formats.

Please tell the developers to move quickly to one common format, not
to waste more time polishing the surface.

I wish again all the best to D. Faure for his present and future work
in the XML TC.

	Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

If children must grow able to leverage computers to meet their own
goals as free citizens, that's not possible with commercial software,
period. -- Ruben Safir