If you compile from source, you have to possibilities: - the inst-apps file, where you list the CVS directories that you have checkout (of course, in your case, you can use these feature to compile only a few directories.) This is a positive ist. - the DO_NOT_COMPILE environement variable (to be set before configure) This is a negative list. Please note: when I write "directory" above,it is only valid for top directories, like koffice/kword,, koffice/kspread but not for something like koffice/filters/kword. For example for KOffice 1.2: DO_NOT_COMPILE="kivio kontour" ./configure You might get problems that you need certain directories, despite that you do not need the program inside. I had clear it for KOffice CVS HEAD but KOffice 1.2.x should still have these problems. Have a nice day/evening/night! On Friday 28 February 2003 09:42, Marco Fioretti wrote: > Greetings > > As some of you may know, I am the current coordinator of the RULE > project > (http://www.rule-project.org/en/ ). > > One of the things we aim to do is to find, package as RPM if needed, > and list to our users the most efficient applications (in terms of CPU > speed, RAM needs, etc..) in every area. > > Recently, I have heard several people saying that KDE 3.1 is much > faster than previous releases, and have partially seen it myself. For > this reason, and also because I'm personally curious to know a bit > more about KDE, I'd like to try to make RPM packages for Red Hat 8.0 > of the following KDE 3.1 components and *NOTHING* else: > > Qt > Konqueror > Kmail > KOffice > (maybe) Quanta > > These applications should be packaged to give the maximum possible > performance sacrificing appearance to real functionality. In other > words, > > I want to keep: > > support via xft2/fontconfig for Asian languages > HTML 4.x, https, JavaScript, IMAP, SMTP/POP3, GPG... > image thumbnails in Konqueror when used as a file manager > no other applications packaged/placed on the system > > I want to remove > > eye candy: I don't care if the result is not themeable, 16 > colors icons are OK, if visual effects are removed, if there is > no sound when windows are opened, all this kind of things > > things like man:// urls, which can be done almost with the same > functionality and output from the command line > > everything else?? (maybe some configuration option?) > > and then, I want to see what the result looks like, and if and how > much it is smaller/faster than the default version. I also need to > rebuild all that stuff, starting from Qt, in some local directory, so > it cannot mess up the default KDE/Red Hat installation, and I can > compare the two versions on the same machine. > > Now the real questions: I plan to download the source RPMs from > kde-redhat.sourceforge.net, because they have been already used on RH > 8.0, so a lot of work has been done. > > Which ones do I have to download to build the applications I > listed? > > How should I modify the Makefiles and/or the spec files? Ideas, > anybody? (include in this an installation side by side, from Qt upwards, > with "standard" KDE on RH, see above) > > Let me repeat that right now this is just a pet project, an excuse to > start knowing KDE structure. Point out firmly but kindly, please, any > idiocy I might have said/assumed here. > > Thank you in advance for any feedback, > > Marco Fioretti > > -- Marco Fioretti m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it Red Hat for low > memory http://www.rule-project.org/en/ > > >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to > >> unsubscribe << ____________________________________ koffice mailing list koffice@mail.kde.org To unsubscribe please visit: http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice